Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has dismissed claims that the multi-agency team leading demolitions on riparian land is reluctant to demolish Taj Mall.
According to Sonko, the government has not changed its mind on pulling down the multi-billion shilling mall that is allegedly constructed on a road reserve.
The Nairobi governor says that Taj Mall and other buildings set for demolition will be pulled down.
“The government has not change its mind on demolitions as some people are speculating, all those buildings that we have issued notices for demolition will be demolished,” the Nairobi governor said on Tuesday.
Governor Sonko stated that there is no going back, alleging that there are forces pushing to stop the demolitions.
“The team is aware of the forces that are working day and night to frustrate this exercise (demolition) but they will not succeed,” he added.
Taj Mall was to be demolished on Thursday last week after a two weeks’ notice to occupants lapsed.
The multi-agency team leading demolitions in the suspended the demolition noting that the Mall will be brought down on Monday.
According to Chief Inspector Julius Wanjau leading the demolition exercise, Taj Mall demolition was suspended to allow the team completely flatten buildings it had demolished earlier.
Wanjau now says that Taj Mall will be demolished anytime.
“We issued the notice and people have vacated and we will be moving to bring it (Taj Mall) down anytime soon,” he said on Tuesday.
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help to shape the future of news across Africa.