President Uhuru Kenyatta's decision to scrap public commemorations for his father, Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, has won hearts of many leaders.
For 41 years, the state has been spending millions on the exercise, with family, politicians and other dignitaries attending over years.
But on Thursday, the Head of State said the family had agreed to scrap the tradition, adding that they would do it 'in their own way' in coming years.
Wiper Vice Chairman Victor Swanya said the move would save taxpayers millions, adding that the money will help improve other sectors.
"This was long overdue and is one of the best decisions by the president. The money should now be diverted to other sectors such as health," he said.
Kenya Social Congress leader Atati Kengere said the ceremony had been an abuse to the integrity of other freedom fighters who died years ago.
"The fact is, we also have other freedom fighters. They have never been given such honour. For equity, the president was right for scrapping it," he said.
Jomo Kenyatta died in 1978 when President Uhuru Kenyatta was only 17 years old and had just completed his secondary education from St Mary's School.