A team from the task-force on the development of sugar industry led by Dr Abala Wanga- the CEO of the Lake Region Economic Block (LREB) and Engineer Solomon Odera yesterday visited Kibos and Miwani sugar Companies in Kisumu County respectively.
Among other engagements, they consulted with sugarcane growers and relevant industry stakeholders through a public participation forum to seek their views on measures to revitalize the companies.
In attendance were Kibos Sugar Manager, Kisumu Senator Hon Fred Outa, Former MP and Minister Hon Onyango Midika, Miwani MCA Kennedy Onyango, Samwel Ong'ow , and nominated MCA Hon Linet Mugah.
Their areas of focus were:
1. Policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework of the sugar industry and the reforms
2. Past, present and emerging challenges facing the sugar industry and recommendations to mitigate these challenges
3. Sugar industry value chain including research and the appropriate recommendations
4. Sugar importation and taxation structures in the industry and the appropriate recommendations
5. The roles of different stakeholder segments, and recommendations on how to bring harmony in the sugar industry
6. The most suitable strategic interventions to revitalize the state-owned sugar mills
7. Cane and sugar pricing mechanisms in the sub-sector and the appropriate recommendations, and
8. The sugar industry funding mechanism and the appropriate recommendations.
The team from the task -force on March 14th visited Muhoroni and Soin Sugar Companies in Kisumu and Kericho respectively with the same agenda.