Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi has said he is now willing to pay the ultimate price in the war against contrabands.
On Wednesday outside the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), the tough-talking security minister revered for implementing government policies with zeal in ministries he has headed previously said he is not afraid to die if that is what it will take to end importation of poisonous sugar and other contraband goods after recent recoveries that have shocked Kenyans.
The first bulk of the goods was nabbed in Eastleigh was found with mercury and copper traces, according to findings from the Government Chemist.
The consignment had 1,474 bags (50Kg’s) of sugar, clearly indicated not suitable for direct human consumption. Matiang'i has assured Kinoti of his full backing in the war on contraband goods.
On Tuesday detectives seized more than 1000 bags of sugar and a mass scale packaging machine worth Sh25 million in a warehouse in Ruiru, Kiambu County. The machine has a capacity of packaging 5,000 bales per hour.
Matiangi said the economy was already hurt, a trend that if it continues will only worsen the situation. Already, 3 retailers have been arrested in Eastleigh and arraigned in court.
According to a senior detective involved in the ongoing crackdown, the real sugar barons are people highly networked, some within the agencies supposed to stop the menace like the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), Kenya Revenue Authority and police at the country entry points and so on.
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help to shape the future of news across Africa.