Nairobi governor Mike Sonko has spelt out elaborate measures the county governments intends to put in place to protect the Nairobi River.
Here is the full statement:
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI) FOR NAIROBI RIVER REGENERATION
To enable the Nairobi City County Government perform its mandate of ensuring clean waterways as well as conserving the riparian environment, it is necessary to outsource the Nairobi River Regeneration Program services.
BackgroundNairobi River and its tributaries Mathare and Ngong rivers traverse through the Kenyan capital City Nairobi as it heads eastwards to Machakos County.
There has been an increase in water pollution due to increased discharge of commercial and domestic effluents, which has tremendously affected the water characteristics.
This has adversely affected the water eco-system and reduced the usefulness of the waters within the County and downstream, a situation that calls for urgent intervention.In pursuant of the above and promoting clean, sustainable and orderly use of the waterways, Nairobi City County through the Inter-Governmental Committee on Nairobi Regeneration, invites companies to express their interest in providing Nairobi River Regeneration Program services.
The financing model include but not limited to the following, Public Private Partnership (PPP), Joint Venture (JV), Direct grant (DG) and Inter-Governmental Funds Transfer (IGFT) and supervised by Nairobi City County.
Scope of service/worksThe selected service provider will:-
1. Removal and transport Solid waste from the river to designated disposal points
2. Collaborate with NCW&SC and Athi Water Service Board in Stoppage of discharge and water pollution into the river
3. Collect Litter and clear unwanted /overgrown vegetation on riparian area
4. Design and undertake Land-scaping works along the riparian
5. Plant trees and increase vegetation cover to improve the natural beauty of the river basin (aesthetic value)
6. Install litter bins and required furniture
7. Provide public sanitation facilities along the riparian
8. Provide surveillance and inspections along the river in collaboration with relevant authorities for enforcement of water quality regulations
9. Promote sustainable River Front Development
10. Any other related works as shall be directed from time to time
Improvement of Terms of reference
Interested Companies may off their suggestions on improvement of the terms of reference that they may feel would result in better implementation of the Nairobi River Regeneration and Rehabilitation program.
Interested Companies may obtain further information from the ‘’Head of Supply Chain 1st Floor City Hall annex, Door number 105 between 8.00 am to 17.00 pm hours, through written communication not later than seven days before the deadline for submission of expression of interest.
Shortlisted Companies based on their Expression of Interest submitted within the valid deadline; will be invited thereafter to collect Request for Proposal documents and to submit their respective bids.
Completed Expression of Interest are to be enclosed in plain sealed envelopes clearly bearing only the title of the EOI should be deposited in the Tender Box, outside Supply Chain Management Office, City Hall Annexe1stFloor and bead dressed to:-
P.O. Box 30075-00100
So as to reach him on or before 12:00noon 5th April, 2018
LEBOO OLE MORINTAT OGWAG. COUNTY SECRETARY & HEAD OF COUNTY PUBLIC SERVICE
Get breaking news from Kibera as they happen! WhatsApp the word Kibera to 0717410719
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help to shape the future of news across Africa.