On March 6, 2016, residents of Wote town in Makueni County were woken up by fierce flames of fire that gutted down the county's assembly.
The 3:30 am mysterious inferno reduced a section of the building to ashes with property worth millionns of shillings being destroyed in the fire.
The then county assembly's speaker, Stephen Ngelu told the press the cause of the fire was not immediately established though police had commenced investigations.
The leadership of the county government was caught flat-footed since the fire went on for some hours due to lack of firefighting equipment.
However, Ngelu differed with the security officers on where exactly the fire started from.
The then speaker claimed the fire started from the assembly's advertisement department while the security officers said it either started from the speaker's or clerk's chamber before spreading to the assembly.
Residents tore the county government to pieces lamenting why a whole county did not have a fire engine.
This is after they were forced to watch helplessly as the raging fire destroyed the building.
The assembly was forced to look for an alternative chamber to conduct it's business since the mace and some important documents were retrieved.
However, after a period of three months, it was established that the fire was caused by an electric fault.
The county government was compensated by an insurance company following the incident.
Nevertheless, Makueni County Government learnt it's lesson and purchased a new firefighting equipment.
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help to shape the future of news across Africa.