Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

Nakuru governor Kinuthia Mbugua has stopped the construction of Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE) classes in Chania and Wiyumiririe area in Subukia.

Kinuthia said the contractors who were given the mandate to construct the classes had derailed the project.

During an interview on Tuesday, Kinuthia pointed out that the tenders given for the construction of Chania and Wiyumiririe ECDEs had been cancelled.

“The construction for these two classes has stalled denying children access to quality learning facilities,” he said.

The governor pointed out that there was need to improve the facilities in the primary schools in the area.

“Our children need to learn in an environment that is fit for learning. We are set to improve the standards by ensuring that they are clean and well constructed,” he pointed out.

According to the governor, in the coming financial year, Sh456m, equivalent to 13 per cent of the budget, has been set aside for more ECDE classrooms, rehabilitation of Nakuru Polytechnic, establishment of sport centres, construction of women centres as well as rehabilitation and equipping Nakuru Players’ Theatre.

The MP for Subukia Mr Nelson Gaichuhie lauded the county government of Nakuru for its commitment to improve early childhood education.

“For a long time in our area one did not need to ask where an ECDE class is in any primary school. ECDE classes were usually dilapidated and from a far they looked abandoned. But today this is changing. Our county government has taken the devolved education function seriously and our children can now access modern classes,” said Gaichuhie.