Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

Internally displaced persons in Nakuru now want Cabinet Secretary Ann Waiguru to step down over claims that her ministry has abandoned them.

They claimed that the government has duped them into thinking that they would eventually be resettled.

Through their chair Peter Kariuki, they said the government was wrong in claiming that all IDPs had been resettled and compensated.

Kariuki accused the CS of not taking any initiative to conduct her own investigations on the existence of the IDPs in the area.

“She has never been to the ground to look at the current status of the IDPs. Many are still waiting to be resettled as promised by the government. Her careless remarks have already caused discomfort among the IDPs who have been waiting patiently for eight years to be resettled,” he said.

They are now threatening to hold demonstrations to compel the government to resettle them.

Kariuki says the CS is being given the wrong information regarding the resettlement exercise and says she should assess the situation herself.

He was speaking to the press in Nakuru on Thursday where he challenged the Jubilee government to stop ignoring their election pledges.

“One of their key pledges was that they would see all the IDPs resettled. Currently only 4,000 families out of the 9,000 that were affected by the clashes have been resettled,” he added

Peter Njoroge, an IDP, says that her remarks have ignited tension among them.

“Unfortunately, we feel that the government took advantage of our silence and patience. The fact that they are also making decisions and statements without consulting us leaves a lot of question marks,” he said.

While addressing the media in Nyandarua County, the Devolution CS said the government had already resettled and compensated all genuine IDPs and would not consider any further cases of IDP related to the post election violence.