Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

Mombasa governor, Hassan Joho, was on Thursday cleared by the DPP of the allegations laid upon him. The governor was alleged to have facilitated the irregular allocation of Mwembe Tayari Market where one block was said to have belonged to Mombasa businessman, Mohammed Abdullah, and Abdulhakim Abdulla.

The allegations were further dropped by Tobiko who said the lease agreement was executed in 1996 by the county council of Mombasa and the businessmen for a term of 99 years. The decision was meant in accordance to provisions of the Local Government act. Tobiko further said that there is no evidence to show that Joho was behind the allocation of the market since neither Joho nor the county government of Mombasa have entered into any agreement concerning the lease. This comes a few days after some government officials accused the Jubilee government of using the allegations to frustrate the Mombasa Governor.

Joho’s business was closed down last week following president Uhuru’s order. Last year, the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) also cleared Joho of the allegations of selling the market to a private investor. It is alleged that Abdulhakim had grabbed the market but the EACC reports that the market is still in the hands of Mombasa government.