The National Youth Service recruits in Nakuru West took to the streets on Friday to demonstrate against the delayed payments.
The angry youths claimed that they have not been paid any cash since the project was launched by the Nakuru County governor, Kinuthia Mbugua.
They blocked the Kaptwembwa road using boulders demanding an audience with the county governor and the area MP Samuel Arama. Police had to use teargas and shoot in the air to disperse more than 100 youths who had marched up to the area CDF offices.
The youths, who spoke to the press on condition of anonymity, cited that the payment dates had been postponed severally.
“We have not been given anything yet every day we are asked to report and engage in the cleaning of the area and clearing the trenches, “said claimed one of the youth.
They pointed out that the money was meant to have been paid directly to their phones.
They are now appealing to the National government to pay them their dues
Youth Leader, Hamisi Mohammed tried to calm them down
“We will have a meeting on Monday with the relevant authorities and see if we can come up with a logical explanation as to why there is that great delay,” said Hamisi
Hamisi said that 1350 youths are employed under the project