The National Authority for the Campaign against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (Nacada) chair John Mututho has received 600 calls from the Nacada hotline 1192 in the last five days.
Speaking to the press in Nakuru on Thursday, Mututho said that majority of the drugs and alcoholics were now calling the number seeking treatment and rehabilitation.
“People have responded well to the command to destroy alcohol in the country and are calling seeking to know how they can be helped. Many who are suffering from withdrawal symptoms are also calling seeking direction as to what they should do when they cannot control their thirst,” said Mututho
The anti-alcoholism body boss said that the police and other organs of the security department were also utilising the line to show their progress in the fight against the illegal liquor.
According to Mututho, Murang’a, Nairobi, Nakuru and Naivasha were the most affected by illegal liquor.
According to Mututho, over one billion litres of second generation drinks had been destroyed since the exercise began two weeks ago.
He appealed to the security personnel conducting the raids to ensure that no liquor was left in the bottles as it was attracting street children, later on leading to them being drunk.
Mututho called on the county governments to support the drive against alcoholism, claiming that the youth will benefit.
“Having healthy youths will ensure that they can also be innovative and can be utilised in the society. Since alcoholism has also affected the birth rate, many children will be born which will in turn lead to development,” he added.