Internally Displaced Persons in Nakuru have told government to explain why IDPs still languish in camps, seven years after the Post Election Violence.
The IDPs also want the Sh8 billion allocated for their resettlement accounted for.
Displaced persons chairman Peter Kariuki claimed the cash, given by then Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta was to resettle all the 12,000 families that were displaced during the violence that rocked the country after the disputed 2007 elections.
Mr Kariuki claimed only 4,500 of the 12,000 families had been compensated and given land.
"They were estimating that each IDP would receive Sh600,000," Mr Kariuki said.
"However, many of the IDPs have not benefited from the cash."
He was speaking to the press in Nakuru on Tuesday where he called for an immediate audit of the ministries that were involved in the resettlement process.
“If the cash had been spent well, every IDP would be living comfortably. Unfortunately that is not the case,” he added.
Kariuki also called for the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission to investigate the leaders involved.
“It is our people who continue to suffer from diseases and death and yet there are powerful people in government who squandered the money that was meant to ensure they lived comfortably,” he cited.