Youths in Nakuru County now want the government to scrap off the bursaries in the wards, claiming that local leaders were using the funds to further their education.
The youths on Tuesday pointed out that they have been frustrated in their efforts to acquire an education yet the leaders were allegedly pursuing their degrees with the said kitty.
Speaking to reporters in Shabab area, they accused the leaders of greed.
“Out of the 74 members of county assembly, 50 are currently pursuing their education and they are using our funds,” said Joseph Kobia, on behalf of the youths.
Kobia claimed that the leaders gave themselves the first priority in the allocation of the funds, leaving other applicants with little money.
Patrick Muchemi, another youth, alleged that the leaders had frustrated the process of getting bursaries.
“Students can stay for three months without getting any cash for their fees. Many have often been forced to drop out since they applied for the bursaries at the beginning of the year but the money has not been disbursed so far,” said Muchemi.
Jackline Muthoni claimed that the method of selection of beneficiaries was not clear as it was random.
“There is too much discrimination and nepotism when it comes to the allocation of the funds and hence it helps only a particular group of people,” she said.
In his budget speech, Nakuru Governor Kinuthia Mbugua pledged Sh110 million in the 2015/2016 financial year for bursaries.