Irate women in Nakuru Town West on Wednesday took to the streets to demand their area MP Samuel Arama to destroy illicit alcohol.
The women claimed that the area was the only one where the illegal liquor was still on sale and many young men were still addicted to it.
The women, who staged a peaceful demonstration near Holy Cross Catholic Church, accused the local administration of laxity and ignorance.
“We have heard that the brew is being poured everywhere else except in our area. We do not know why our MP is reluctant to lead in the raid against the second generation drinks yet our youths are among the most affected,” said Josephine Waithera.
Jane Mukami pointed out that the liquor addicts who could not access the drinks elsewhere went to the area.
“We still have the liquor in some of the posh lodgings here and they are being hid by the owners who later sell them to the alcoholics,” she said
Contacted on the phone, Arama claimed that it was not his duty to destroy the liquor.
“Just like I cannot send a chief to represent me to parliament, I do not expect to go and do a chiefs work. There are boundaries and everyone needs to respect the other person's job. I am calling on the county commissioner to put up the proper machinery to come and fight the war against illicit liquor but they should not expect MPs to go and pour it out,” he cited
Arama said he was not opposed to the pouring of the drinks but claimed that even the people who were carrying out the raids could not define what second generation drinks are.
“I have gone to all this premises and they have all the valid licenses to operate the industries. This means the drinks they are distributing are fit for human consumption. “He claimed
Arama challenged the owners of the companies who had been broken into to go to court to seek compensation.
“Let them sue all the individuals who are destroying public property. It is not right,” he quipped