Makueni Senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior has welcomed the government's proposal to have private security guards armed.

Is there a story unfolding in your community? Let Hivisasa know

Kilonzo Junior said the proposal is timely and will help in keeping law and order.

He argued that arming the guards will boost the war against terrorism.

Kilonzo Junior, however, said the state should extensively train private security guards before issuing them with guns.

He said it will be disastrous if private security guards are not properly trained.

“The government must train private security guards before giving them guns to prevent cases of misuse,” Kilonzo Junior said.

Hi spoke during an interview on Milele FM on Wednesday.

The Makueni Senator also proposed for the formulation of proper laws and policies before giving guns to security guards.

“There has to be clear guidelines and policies so that people can take responsibilities and be held responsible  if they end up messing with the firearms,” he added.

Kilonzo Junior said unless proper measures are considered, the guns could find themselves in the hands of criminals and terrorists.

He called on the government to engage all stakeholders before implementing the proposal.

Last week, the government revealed that proposal to arm private security guards will be implemented in six months time.

The revelation came in the wake of the DusitD2 terror attack at 14 Riverside that left 21 people dead.

Ukambani politicians among them Mwingi Central MP Gideon Mulyungi and his Mwingi West counterpart Charles Nguna have welcomed the proposal.

#hivisasaoriginal