Three suspects linked to the shooting of the late former Kilifi deputy governor Kenneth Kamto have been denied bond.
Shanzu Senior Resident Magistrate Yusuf Shikanda on Tuesday directed police to hold the suspects for nine more days pending further investigations.
In his ruling, Shikanda said that the case will only continue after an advocate has been appointed to represent them.
The magistrate said that there was need to appoint an advocate in the case considering the fact that robbery with violence is a capital offense in the law of this nation.
He also announced that two of the suspects- Julius Gitonga and Joseph Amwayi cannot be given bond until the appointment is undertaken.
"Consequently, I suspend my determination on the application by the prosecution to deny the suspects bond," he said, as quoted by Daily Nation.
The third suspect in the murder case is one Florence Mwanza Mbithe, who alongside the duo had been jailed for life over robbery with violence but they were later freed following an appeal from their defense team. State counsel Shakwila Ayekha appealed to the court to deny the suspects bond because of their past criminal records.
He insisted that it was evident that the trio were a threat to the lives of the innocent Kenyans and they cannot be granted bail until proven innocent beyond doubt.
The suspects have also been linked to a crime committed in Ganze. They are set to appear in court on February 14, when the case will be mentioned.
Kamto was shot dead at his Nyali home in December 2018.
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help shape the content we offer.