Nyakoe MCA John Amisi has written to Governor James Ongwae, asking him to consider recovering Kanunda Secondary School playground which has been allegedly grabbed by a Chinese construction company and turned into a dumping site.
A section of youths on Wednesday accused the MCA of giving a 'childish' response when asked to intervene on the matter, which has paralysed playing activities among locals.Youth stranded after football pitch is turned into dumpsite.
"This is to bring to your attention that the Chinese contractors who are working on Ahero-Kisii road, have allegedly dumped soil at Kanunda Secondary School playground, rendering it unusable," Mr Amisi protested in the letter.
"The waste waste soil from construction is contaminated with some chemicals and bottles which makes it impossible for students and local community to use the field," Amisi added, in response to a story that had been published by Hivisasa.
Mr Amisi claimed he had visited the company's offices at Oyugis but officials have refused to level the playground to make it fit for hosting sporting activities.
Further, he said, Kenya National Highway Authority has failed to take actions despite being aware of the matter. According to him, he has made several trips to KENHA offices without much success.
"Despite several visits to their site office at Oyugis, they have blatantly refused to level the ground. I have persoally discussed the matter with the KenHA resident Engineer Gakuo, who promised to act but nothing concrete yet to come out."
Amisi said the school adminstration and the board denied giving the contractor permission to heap the soil. The MCA has further promised to followup with the matter until an action is taken.
On Wednesday, the angry youths who have been using the playground also asked NEMA to chip in and help the local community to solve the matter when they spoke to the writer.