A nurse and a hospital administrator at Shalom Hospital in Athi River, Machakos County have been arrested.
The arrest came after Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua raised concern over a disturbing video of a woman who gave birth under deplorable conditions.
Governor Mutua has confirmed the arrest of the nurse, and the hospital administrator adding that the facility risks closure after the incident.
He further noted that an audit will be conducted, adding that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations will be invited to probe the hospital.
Here is the statement from Governor Mutua:
"Today, a high delegation investigative team made up of both National and County Government officials, on my invitation, visited the Private run Shalom Hospital in Athi River. They have found alarming abuse of procedures, Jua Kali operations and wanting treatment of patients at the facility. This is totally unacceptable and will not be allowed in Machakos County under my leadership.
The value of human life, proper and respectful treatment of the sick is paramount and an indicator of civilization. I am very disappointed by what has been going on at the Private facility. After a seven hours investigation, the following decisions have been made:
1. John Ndege, Casualty nurse: Withdrawal of nursing license for 3 months. To undergo retraining at KNH.
2. Edna Nyarangi, not registered as a nurse by nursing council. Considered a quark. To be prosecuted. She has been arrested.
3. Thomas Ndolo, Hospital administrator - hiring of quarks and contravening the law and procedures. He has also been arrested.
4. Samuel Ongoya : Reprimanded
5. Kelvin Samita : Mentorship at Machakos level 5 for 1 month.
1. Shalom Hospital Reprimanded
2. Joint clinical audit to start tomorrow at 9 am on staffing and Standard Operating Procedures.
3. The investigative team to make a final verdict based on the audit findings within 1 month.
4. Invitation of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations to conduct further investigations, with the possibility of charging the Directors/Owners of Shalom hospital with Criminal Negligence and other crimes," the statement read in part.