Residents of Matongo in Kisii County are mourning the death of an 80-year-old man who died after he missed the government monthly stipend (Pesa kwa wazee). 

Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

The man identified as Andrew collapsed and died on Monday after he went to a local chief's office to get the money only to be told his name was not among those who were to receive the funds. 

"Andrew went to the chief's office to be given the money. He reached there and he was informed his name was not there. He collapsed and died on spot," said a witness James Twara.

Mr. Twara said Andrew was listed among the people who died last year and therefore, his name was since omitted from the register. 

Simon Okeyo, area chief confirmed the incident and said he is not responsible for the old man's death. 

"I should not be blamed because the list comes from 'above'. I can't tell how the deceased name was included among those who are already dead," said Okeyo. 

The chief urged the elderly to keep on checking for their names at his office regularly to avoid last minute frustrations. 

Okeyo said no cartel will be allowed to tamper with the list of the government's monthly stipend for the elderly.