More than 20 houses were on Sunday night razed down by an inferno in Elburgon, Nakuru. The fire was reported at around 10 pm in Eastleigh slum, Kwa Mzee Moja area.
Victims were unable to salvage anything as the fire spread quickly due to the timber made houses.
Area MCA Njuguna Mwaura, who was at the scene with residents trying to put off the fire, said no casualties had been reported.
Residents, however, blamed lack of a quick response from the fire team on the damage caused.
“It took time before the Timsales fire engine arrived. That is why the damage was huge. Governor Lee Kinyanjui must ensure sub-counties have a quick-fire response team,” Ndung’u Karanja, a victim said.
The incident came a few days after another inferno ravaged houses at Kasarani slum in the same town.
Before the Sunday incident happened, residents had gathered at Elburgon DEB primary for fundraising to help the Kasarani families that lost all their property.
“We just had fundraising in Karani today to help the families affected by the other fire, God help us,” Milka Wangui, another victim said.
Former Molo MP Jacob Macharia said there is a need for a counter-strategy into the inferno and rehabilitate roads in the slums to ensure quick access during emergencies.
“This comes just one week after a fire destroyed houses at Mwatu area of Kasarani and we need quick responses to counter these frequent occurrences,” Macharia said.
The cause of the fire has not yet been established.