A lorry belonging to Kitui Deputy Governor Wathe Nzau has been set ablaze.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

The vehicle was burnt down by unknown assailants at the politician's home in Mwingi Sub-county on Friday morning.

Nzau said the 2.30 am incident was political and witch hunt due to the Kitui County Government's strong stand on charcoal burning and transportation in the county.

He addressed the press in Kitui town on Friday.

Nzau said he had been receiving threats from unknown people since March 2017.

The politician said he had been parking the lorry at a police station since he started receiving the threats until recently.

"I have been receiving threats since the charcoal ban was implemented until recently when they subdued. So, we took the lorry from the police station only for this to happen," Nzau said.

Nzau said the incident is a clear indication of a fightback after a truck ferrying charcoal was torched by irate residents at Kanyonyoo along Thika-Garissa highway sometime back.

He noted that despite the incident, charcoal burning and transportation is still illegal in Kitui County.

Nzau said nobody had been arrested in connection to the incident.

He said police have, however, commenced investigations into the matter.

#hivisasaoriginal