Residents in Makairo, Nyamira South Sub-County have been left in shock after a couple died after consuming alcohol at a local joint.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

According to witnesses, the couple was in the company of two of their friends who are currently fighting for their lives at Nyamira Referral Hospital.

The couple, Sarah Ondabu and Wycliffe Ongubo were in the company of Erick Mokaya and Evans Motari who were taken to Makairo Sub-County Hospital on Thursday morning by bodaboda riders.

Confirming the incident, Makairo Sub-County Hospital clinical officer Daniel Mogere said the couple was brought into the facility while unconscious, adding that they passed away while undergoing first aid. 

“We are saddened that the couple did not survive but their colleagues responded to our first aid and as we talk, they are currently admitted at the Nyamira Referral Hospital,” said Ondabu.

Area Chief Ezekiel Mayuya said that there was a total of four people at the bar and it is suspected that they consumed poisoned alcohol.

“The police have already been informed and we look forward to arresting the owner of the bar so that he can be able to explain to us how the deaths occurred and what kind of alcohol they were selling,” said Mayuya.

The bodies were taken to Nyamira Morgue awaiting post-mortem.