Three M-Pesa robbery suspects who were arrested earlier this year after they were captured on Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras robbing from an M-Pesa agent at gunpoint have been charged afresh.
The suspects, Brighton Johnstone Naiya, Mohamed Hassan and Stephen Mutuvi were on Wednesday charged with seven counts of robbery with violence.
They were charged afresh after the DPP consolidated their cases following the arrest and arraignment in court of Mutuvi, who was still in hiding when the two suspects were being charged.
The three are being charged for robbing Sh277,875 from six people and killing one, said to an M-Pesa agent from Changamwe.
Appearing before Mombasa Chief Magistrate Edna Nyaloti, the three pleaded not guilty before they asked the court to release them on bond so that they could go and manage their businesses.
However, the magistrate denied the suspects bond on account that their lives were safer in the hands of the police than when they are free.
“If I grant you bail today, you will all be in the mortuary the following day, the risks still persist so I cannot release you on bond now. You are more safe in custody than when you are outside there,” said the magistrate.
The suspects are accused of killing Johannes Obino, who was an M-Pesa agent Jomvu Aldina, Changwamwe, before making away with an unknown amount of money.
Other victims of the three suspects included Omar Makuto , Victoria Njoki, Judith Okungi, Nancy Misango, Saddam Mjomba and Maurice Marahaba. They were robbed of their money and phones.
The State Counsel Eugene Wangila revealed the suspects committed the crimes between March 19 and March 23 this year.
The case will be heard on July 18.