President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday will preside over the launch of the Naivasha Standard Gauge Railway (SGR).

Is there a story unfolding in your community? Let Hivisasa know

The head of State will be accompanied by several government officials as he unveils the second phase of the SGR from Nairobi to Naivasha. 

Naivasha sub-county commissioner Mbogo Mathioya has confirmed the event, saying all set for the big day as Uhuru tours the region.  

He will also commission the construction of Internal Container Depot at near Mai Mahiu town. 

The process tour will start at Syokimau and end in Mai Mahiu. The commission of the project comes at a time when residents of the areas have decried lack of compensation for the land.  

The families, which occupied 1,000-acre land earmarked for the special economic zone, have opted to seek legal redress after it emerged that they are yet to be compensated. 

Mathioya asked the residents to remain patient as the government address the matter in question. He said that the affected families are set to be relocated to the 4000-acre ranch in Kedong. 

“The case is being handled by the concerned Government department as the affected families had been compensated by Kedong ranch with 4,000 acres,” he said, as quoted by Standard.

Narok East MP Ken Aramat has, however, lamented that the piece of land is not big enough to accommodate more than 10,000 families after the displacement.