A number of theories have been formulated to explain the death of John Mutinda who passed away after his car plunged into the Indian Ocean at the Likoni channel on Saturday morning.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

Statements from the family members, government spokesman Cyrus Oguna, the Kenya Ferry Services (KFS), and other stakeholders indicate that the tragic incident may have been a case of superstition, suicide or accident.

Reports from the Standard indicate that the late John Mutinda told his wife that he had received a call from his dead father who had called him for a meeting.

He consequently left the house and drove off despite efforts from his wife to stop him.

Further reports have revealed that authorities may be investigating the possibility of John Mutinda's death being a suicide case.

Government spokesman Cyrus Oguna while issuing a statement on the tragedy hinted that the deceased may have been suffering from depression.

"We request that whenever we are at work or at home, we should try and look after our fellows. There are times that someone displays signs that are not good. Signs that indicate he may be depressed. We should report such cases to the relevant authority so that action can be taken immediately. (Tunaomba pia kwamba sisi tukiwa kule makazini kwetu. kwenye mtaani, tujaribu kuangalia wenzetu. Kuna wakati ambazo mtu anaonyesha dalili ambazo sio sawa. Ambazo zinaonyehswa kwamba labdo ako na matatizo ya kimawazo, ya kiakili tuweze kupiga ripoti kwa vituo na vitengo vifaavyo ili hatua ya harak iweze kuchukuliwa)," Oguna stated as highlighted by KTN News.

Bakari Gowa, KFS Managing Director pointed out that John Mutinda violated the rules and ignored a security guard who tried to turn him back.

"What we are still looking at is why did he, first of all, violate all the rules. He didn't want to pay, he didn't come to the toll booth to pay. The guard was there to guide him to go back and pay but before the guard reaches he moved further, he moved away from the main holding bay for vehicles," Mr Gowa told K24.

The body of the late was transported to Jocham Hospital mortuary.