Nandi Governor Stephen Sang was on Thursday handed a reprieve after a Kisumu Court suspended the hearing of a property case against him. 

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

Sang had been charged to court over malicious damage to property after he stormed at the Kibwari tea estate and destroyed the part of the plantation.

Senior Resident Magistrate Beryl Omollo postponed the case to January 23, 2020. The court has paved way for the hearing and determination of a case he had presented at the High Court. 

His lawyer Zephania Yego said that an appeal had already been filed in regard to the case when he appeared before Justice Thrispisa Cherere. 

“We obtained orders in the High Court staying proceedings in this matter,” said Yego, as quoted by Standard.

The governor later took to his social media account to clear the air over the case. He said the land he is accused of destroying tea plantation belongs to the government, adding that he will not change his tune as far as land grabbing is concerned.

“The grabbed land belong to Kaburet Cattle dip and is held by the County Government of Nandi in trust for the community. I thank the people of Nandi for their continued support in our quest to reclaim grabbed public land. Aluta Continua. #TugaTai,” he said.