Nairobi Court on Tuesday was told by the investigating officers that the origin for the letter which bore DP's assassination plot still remained unknown. It was heard that the forensic tests towards the letter had failed in establishing the first time it surfaced online.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

The lead investigator also told the court that the author of the letter could not be traced, with the forensic report failing to denote when the image was first posted on the whatsapp group namely Tangatanga movement. 

"The forensic report was to find the author and the author of the letter," Milimani Chief Magistrate Ms Martha Mutuku was told by Mr. Kimani. 

A team was mobilized by Mr. Kimani following a directive by the DCI boss George Kinoti after the president ordered probation into the assassination claims as well as the letter source.  

Initially, Dennis Itumbi, State House Digital Media Secretary had been linked to the claims but was later cleared after his phone was investigated and no information found.

It proved a challenge drawing Mr. Itumbi to the allegations after it was realized that he had formatted his phone. Again, only four of the group members were questioned on the basis that they were group admins. 

Itumbi's defendant, Katwa Kigen insisted on how his client lacked a connection to the said letter. "If he needed to have deleted it, then he must have had information that police were looking for him. But the witness has confirmed that police had neither contacted nor summoned him," noted Kigen.

Itumbi is being charged in connection to publishing and being an author of the letter, though forensic investigations efforts to link his phone to the act bore no fruits. 

Mr. Gateri was charged together with Itumbi after he said that he was forced to amend a signature on the letter. "On interrogation of Mr. Gateri, he confirmed that the letter was posted by Mr Itumbi on whatsapp group where he is a member. He showed the police the group in his mobile phone. We proceeded to arrest Mr. Itumbi and confiscate his sim card and mobile phone," Maina told the court.

The hearing was set to carry on on Wednesday.