A team of private divers from South Africa are expected to join the ongoing attempts to recover the bodies of two Kenyans who drowned into the Indian Ocean last week.
Attempts to recover the bodies of Mariam Mughendi and her daughter Amanda Mutheu have been futile over a week later, after their vehicle reversed and plunged into the ocean from the ferry.
Speaking on Sunday, Government Spokesperson Col. (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna said that the entire team is expected in Kenya on Monday, and will join the team already at work.
"The first batch of the foreign divers are expected in the country today and the second batch will arrive on Monday and so on Tuesday they join the multi-agency team involved in the search and recovery operation," he said.
He said that the multi agency team already in the ground had since settled on four points from the initial twelve, as it seeks to recover both the bodies and the vehicle.
He called upon relatives of the victims to practice patience as the mission proceeds, expressing hopes that positive results will be registered soon.
"As we speak we have divers on standby and others diving into the priority areas to locate the vehicle and the occupants and we hope to get significant results in the next few days," he added.
He blamed bad visibility, bad weather and string currents for the delay in recovering the bodies.