The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has launched a probe into the loss of 5000 bags of sugar laced with mercury were stolen on Saturday.
The product was stolen alongside 300 bags at the Bollore godown in Changamwe, Mombasa county, as was confirmed by area police boss Daudi Lonyorokwe.
The OCPD suspected that the product has been missing for some time now, saying that his officers suspect thay it was stolen some three weeks ago.
He said that a probe has since been launched into the issue in a nod to nab the persons behind the that of the contaminated product.
The officer noted that a total of seven suspects have since been arrested over possible involvement in the same, while a search has been launched for the godown watchman.
He said that the guard who was manning the facility has since hone into hiding, reports the Citizen Digital.
The product is part of the thousands of bags of sugar thay was doscoverednto contain traces of mercury and copelr during a government crackdown last year.
Most of the blame would later land on sugar millers, over accusations that they imported unsafe sugar which would impose great danger to Kenyans.