A seven-year-old girl died on Sunday after a fire razed a house in Taachasis village in Nakuru Town West.

See top deals from Jumia

Area residents who responded to the family's distress call claimed that the girl's grandparents were arguing before one of them knocked down a burning charcoal stove.

The girl, Mary Munene, who was sleeping when the fire started was burnt beyond recognition while two other children were rescued. They, however, sustained burns.

The body of the minor was discovered after firefighters from the county government and officers from Kaptembwo Police Station put out the fire.

“One of them knocked down a burning charcoal stove that caused the fire,” Wilson Lagat, a resident as quoted by the Standard.

“It is unfortunate that we did not save the life of the minor because we had no information on her whereabouts. The couple, too, was not sure if the children were inside the house or had left during the commotion,” added the resident.

The girl's grandparents later claimed that the fire was caused by an electric fault. 

Nakuru Town West Sub-county police commander Patrick Olonyi who confirmed the incident said they are yet to know the cause of the fire and efforts to establish the same are ongoing.

Olonyi said they could do little by the time they arrived at the scene as the timber house was already on fire.

The grandparents were rescued by the police as a crowd that had gathered at the scene was baying for their blood.