A 7-year-old boy died after a house he was sleeping in caught fire at Jogoo area within Kisii town in Kisii County on Tuesday.
Confirming the incident, area chief Justus Ondieki said the mother of the deceased had gone to a shop when the incident happened.
"The deceased was alone in the house when the fire broke. The minor could not escape the fire since the fire flames spread too fast," he said.
The administrator said the fire was caused by a burning jiko (charcoal stove) which the deceased mother was using to cook potatoes.
He said efforts by neighbours to contain the fire did not yield any fruits.
"The body of the deceased was removed from the house by neighbours. The body was taken to Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital morgue," he noted.
The chief called on parents to ensure their children are safe far from fires, especially during this long December holiday.
Locals blamed county firefighters for failing to respond to the alarm raised after the fire broke.
"Lazy county firefights didn't arrive at the scene despite an alarm being raised. It is high time Governor James Ongwae to sack the lazy team and replace them with serious and hardworking people," stated a local Evans Moenga.
Get breaking news from Kisii as they happen! WhatsApp the word Kisii to 0717410719
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help to shape the future of news across Africa.