The county government of Nairobi has vowed to take legal action against advertising agencies running unauthorised businesses on the city's street lights.
Consequently, the county government on Tuesday pulled down billboards that had been illegally erected on street lighting masts without its consent.
According to kbctv.co.ke, the county staff were assisted by their colleagues from the Kenya Power to remove the illegal adverts beginning with Lang’ata Road before moving to other city roads.
Kenya Power has been contracted to power the street lights and says the illegal advertising does affect electricity supply since most of the agencies tap electric power from the street lights without consultations, hence interfering with power supply and maintenance of the lights.
The Governor Evans Kidero-led administration uses more than Sh25 million for power bills for the lights, the report adds.
And now Eng Francis Mwaura says the illegal adverts are to blame for the unnecessary disruptions of power along the street lights thereby posing a security challenge.
Besides, the illegal billboards have been denying the county revenue and also pose a traffic risk in some instances.