Kibera youths who have been using guns to rob residents and this has caused fear in the area.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

They have now been given a deadline of a week to hand over the weapons they have been using by the government. This comes after two youths in the area decided to surrender their firearms to the Kilimani Police Station on Monday morning.

Kilimani police OCPD, Peter Katam called on all youths who had formed gangs in the area to disband the gangs and focus on development rather than using their guns to rob residents.

‘‘I have given all the youths who have firearms both fake and original to surrender them to the government through the police stations in a period of one month. If they fail, we will search for them and they will face the law,’’ said Katam.

One youth, Kevin Ombundo accepted that he had been using a gun to terrorise residents and steal from them. He surrendered his toy gun to the Kilimani Police and called all other youths to do so.

‘‘I am tired of this life. I have been working with many friends but they have been killed. I have decided to live crime life,’’ said Ombundo.

Francis Mwangi also said he has been working hard to mentor Kibera youths to stop crime and embrace peace.

‘‘I try to talk to them so that they can surrender their guns. I am thankful that Kevin has finally decided to surrender his gun,’’ said Mwangi.