The Mombasa governor, Ali Hassan Joho can now breathe after the court barred the interior cabinet secretary, Joseph Nkaissery from taking away his firearm and arresting him.
Nkaissery had directed the Inspector General, Joseph Boinnet to take away all firearms belonging to the governor. Some of his body guards were also withdrawn by the government. Joho had been ordered to return all the firearms by Tuesday 2 pm.
The governor termed the move political and vowed not to return any firearm since he had never misused it after he acquired it from the government.
‘‘I acquired my firearm legally. I have never shot anyone, I have never threatened anyone with it. Why should you take it away then?’’ questioned Joho.
Nkaissery, on the other hand, said if Joho would not surrender the firearm, he risked being arrested.
CORD senior officials, Raila Odinga, Kalonzo Musyoka and Moses Wetangula threatened to storm the police station if Joho got arrested.
Joho, through his lawyer, James Orengo told Judge George Odunga that Nkaissery had no powers to take Joho’s firearm or revoke his firearms licenses. He ruled that the powers to revoke the license were in the hands of the licensing board and not Nkaissery’s.
He stopped Nkaissery from arresting the governor. The case is set to be hard on April 8, 2016.