Residents of Kiamaina area, Nakuru County, held a peaceful demonstration on Tuesday morning protesting failure by Kenya Power to reconnect them after staying three weeks without electricity supply. The irate residents claimed that the transformer in the area blew up after Kenya Power overloaded it. They said they had been unsuccessfully trying to get their power supply reconnected. “They keep on telling us that new transformers are on the way coming. However, this was their fault as they are the ones who overloaded the transformers,” lamented Joseph Njoroge, a resident. Ms Mary Maina, who also lives in Kiamaina, said they have been attempting to reach out to Kenya Power but the company has been ignoring their plight. “They came and said that we were careless and hence we were paying for our mistakes. However, they promised to repair the transformer but it was all in vain,” she lamented. Mr Mark Mbugua, a welder, said they were undergoing hefty loses following the lack of power in the area. “We cannot transact any business since everything we do requires electricity. The company ordered us to look for alternatives saying it would take time before they get new supply of poles,” he said. Contacted through the Kenya Power Emergency number 0717160780, the company admitted they were aware of the problem. “It will, however, take a lot of time before they can get normal power supply since the company has not been able to purchase and give us new transformers,” said the officer who picked the call though he refused to give out his name.
NAKURU
Kenya Power frustrating us, lament Kiamaina residents
ADVERTISEMENT
Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa
Thank you for reading my article! You have contributed to my success as a writer. The articles you choose to read on Hivisasa help shape the content we offer.
-Osteen Njenga