Students in class. Bishop Abiero Shauri Moyo Mixed Secondary School in Kisumu has recorded a 15% increase in the number of students admitted to form one. [Photo/nation.co.ke]
Bishop Abiero Shauri Moyo Mixed Secondary School in Kisumu has recorded a 15 percent increase in the number of students admitted to form one this year compared to last year.
The school’s headteacher Dinah Oboro said last year, 120 form one students joined the school. That number increased to 150 this year, so far.
“This year, we are supposed to admit a total of 210 form ones. So far 150 have reported and we are still waiting for the remaining 60 whom we believe will be joining us soon,” the head teacher said in Kisumu on Friday.
She said that they will not lock anyone out, insisting that they will save chances for each student who is supposed to join them.
Recently, Deputy President William Ruto ordered education officials in conjunction with local administrators across the country to ensure that students who are supposed to join form one do so.
He also ordered for arrest and prosecution of parents who are yet to admit their children in form one.
The government is offering free secondary education in day secondary schools.
However, some parents claim they are still being asked to pay fees for their day schooling children.