Kenya Union of Post Primary Teachers Education (KUPPET) Kisumu branch has reaffirmed that they are ready for the teachers strike that is set to start on Monday.
Kisumu County KUPPET Chairman Zablon Awange says the ongoing talks will not hinder them from participating in the strike.
He noted that the government has always held such talks for many years, but has not yielded any fruits.
Awange said the talks scheduled for Saturday will have minimal effect on the planned strike, incase Teachers Service Commission (TSC) will not give a good offer.
“Last year we met the government 26 times and we are saying the talks will not bar us from going on strike,’’ said Awange.
Awange added that as Kuppet, they are demanding a 200 percent pay increment, adding that the planned strike is on unless either of the two unions advises their members otherwise.
Speaking in Kisumu on Friday, Awange said that they understand that some schools have called for teachers’ meetings on Monday, adding that teachers should go at their own risks.
Awange urged the county director of education and the school heads association not to commence the process of picking form one students until the strike is over.