Media Council of Kenya deputy CEO Victor Bwire has shown concern for journalists’ in some parts of the country. [Photo/africanarguments.org]
The media Council of Kenya (MCK) is concerned about journalists’ security in some parts of the country, ahead of the repeat presidential election set for Thursday.
MCK’s deputy Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mr. Victor Bwire said journalists’ in some parts of the country may have violence visited on them, arising from the fact that Kenyans are divided between participating in the polls and not participating.
Speaking in Kisumu on Tuesday, Mr. Bwire called on media owners to ensure that their staffs covering the polls are safe.
“We are really concerned with security of journalists’ in various parts of the country as a result of some people saying there will be no elections while others insist there will be elections,” he said.
He added, “We urge media owners and editors to carry out thorough risk assessments before deploying their reporters on the ground to cover the polls.”
Three journalists have so far been injured in line of duty while covering anti-IEBC demos in Kisumu.
The three were allegedly beaten and tear gassed by police while covering the demonstrations.
Kisumu Journalists Network (KJN) chairman Dickson Odhiambo condemned the attack on Journalists’ that happened early this month.