The National Transport and Safety Authority has lifted the suspension of Transline Sacco operations.

Is there a story unfolding in your community? Let Hivisasa know

The transport regulator imposed the ban against the Sacco last week following a grisly accident on the Mai Mahiu- Narok road in which nine people died.

NTSA director general Francis Meja said in a statement Thursday they reached the decision after a meeting with sacco officials where they clarified that the vehicle which was involved in the accident had withdrawn its membership from the Sacco/company.

“The authority therefore has lifted the suspension of operations for Transline Sacco to resume their operations effective from July 19,” Meja said.

He, however, reminded the Sacco of its responsibility to report to NTSA those vehicles operating using their logo/trademark that are not registered under their Sacco/company.

NTSA has also written to the Kisii Police County Commander to apprehend the registered owner and driver of the ill-fated vehicle who are still at large.

“The authority once again takes this opportunity to assure the general public of its commitment in addressing the rising crashes witnessed over the last few days. We appeal to each and every road user to play their rightful role in improving road safety in the country,” he said.

While announcing the suspension on Saturday, Meja said the matatu was not licensed to operate at night.

“We will prefer charges against Transline Sacco and for those caught driving at the wrong time. This is a question of discipline, and it is unfortunate that this continues to happen,” the NTSA director said.