Lamu politician Rashad Amana at Hindi primary school voter registration centre in Lamu [Photo/The Star]

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

Lamu West parliamentary aspirant Rishad Amana now says he will sue the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) over the anomalies in the voter register.

Amana has accused the IEBC of lying to Kenyans that it had cleaned up the register, yet there were dead people from the county who are still listed as voters.

 “We have found out there are people who died in 2013 and 2014 whose names still exist in the register,” he told The Star on the phone.

He said they are conducting a private exercise in all the four divisions of the constituency to ascertain whether those who died since 2013 were still in the register. 

“We are contacting all the people who have lost their loved ones to establish whether the deceased were registered as voters. After that we will go to court to sue the IEBC for lying to Kenyans,” he stated.

The exercise, he noted, was launched in the constituency on Friday last week.

The ODM aspirant claimed some people who had transferred from other polling stations have also found out that their names are still listed in their old voting stations despite having verified their voter status.

“One of my staff was initially registered to vote in Kisumu but transferred his voting station to Lamu where he is working. On Saturday he discovered he has been taken back to Kisumu,” Amana said.

The Wafula Chebukati-led commission on Wednesday last week said it had deleted 88,602 dead voters from the register thereby bringing the total number of registered voters to 19,611,423.

He, however, noted that the commission is aware the voter register cannot be completely rid of dead persons.