The number of cholera deaths in Nakuru County has risen to 15 after one more person succumbed to death in Ahero area of Bahati.

Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

County chief public health officer, Samuel Kingori, cited that the number of infected people had risen to 176 after new cases were reported in Mogotio.

Speaking to the press on Thursday Morning, Kingori revealed that they had distributed 20,000 aqua tabs in the area for the residents who mainly depend on Molo River for their water for use.

“We are working with Bomet area, who borders our region, so that we can be able to control cholera in the town which is our border point,” said Kingori.

 According to Kingori, at least 185 people had been charged for food hawking in the last three weeks.

“We have been able to arrest and prosecute them before our Law courts. They have been fined between Sh 3000 and Sh 30,000 for cooking in open and undesignated areas,” he said.

The health expert also indicated that they had reached more than 50 schools and 100 churches in their anti cholera campaigns.

“We are trying to ensure that the disease is well contained and cannot recur easily,” he added.

Nakuru chief executive of health Samuel Mwaura rubbished claims citing that the county would use Sh 15 million to fight cholera.

“We will do a cumulative total after the disease has been contained since we cannot say we’ve spent that much yet it can recur any time,” he added.