The scene of the tragic accident along Nairobi - Nakuru highway.Photo/the-star.co.ke
Matatu owners have now blamed the police for the tragic accident that occurred in Soysambu along the Nairobi -Naivasha highway.
The accident claimed 20 lives.
Association chairman Simon Kimutai said on Monday said that the accident could have been avoided if police at roadblocks on the route acted.
"Police did not flag down the bus for speeding or for operating on the wrong route. It is unfortunate Kenyans died as a result of their negligence."
Kimutai said that the bus went through five police roadblocks before it was involved in the accident.
The Githurai 45 Sacco bus was carrying passengers to western yet it is only licensed to ply the Githurai route.
On Saturday, NTSA director general Francis Meja said the vehicle had been removed from the SACCO membership list over disciplinary issues.