Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

A section of Shabab residents have expressed concern over the proposal to forgive youths who claim they were trained by Al-Shabaab but have reformed.

Their claims come only a few days after the regional conference on countering violent extremism that was held in Nairobi last week.

Speaking with them at Shabaab grounds on Sunday, the residents claimed they would not be comfortable living with someone who had received military training.

The residents claimed that it will not be easy to have them integrated in the society.

“They could become rowdy or change their minds and decide to blow us up. I feel they should be arrested and relocated to a different location. The fact that they are familiar with the area might prove fatal,” said David Macharia.

They said that integration of the youths as a way of encouraging de-radicalisation was dangerous to the society.

“It would encourage youths to go and join the vigilante groups knowing there is the option of amnesty,” said Joyce Chege, another resident.

She pointed out that the rehabilitation of the youths would also lead to their stigmatisation and hence they would be withdrawn and intimidated by their neighbours.

Nakuru County commissioner Mohammed Birik had pointed out that at least five youths from Nakuru had joined the militia group.