Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang says the current spate of school arson has not disrupted end of term and mock examinations in most public institutions.

Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa

Kipsang said in a statement Tuesday that security measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of students and school property.

He at the same time urged students, teachers and head teachers to be calm and avoid confrontation and destruction of property by deliberately addressing issues of concern to the school community.

In line with this, Education Cabinet secretary Fred Matiang’i will on Thursday hold a consultative meeting with clerics and the Kenya Secondary School Heads Association (KESSHA) officials at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development in a bid to find long-term solutions to the problem.

Kipsang also pointed out that in view of the unrest and arson attacks in schools, the ministry has will continue holding consultative meetings with stakeholders.

“The country has witnessed an inexplicable wave of school unrest with valuable school infrastructure set on fire during the better part of second term in the schools calendar. In view of the unrests and arson attacks in schools, the Cabinet secretary has found it necessary to continue holding consultative meetings with stakeholders,” he said.

Head teachers on Wednesday held a crisis meeting with the ministry officials, KESSHA, the Teachers Service Commission over the spate of student unrest even as they sought the closure of schools to address the matter.

So far, more than 100 schools have been affected by the unrest and over 200 students and teachers arrested.