Nakuru West Deputy County Commissioner Elmi Shaffi Ibrahim has issued a stern warning to chiefs who will not fight illicit brew in their areas of jurisdiction.
Speaking on Tuesday after a successful raid that saw more than 7000 litres of kangara and chang’aa destroyed in Nakuru’s two most notorious estates; Kaptembwa and Mwariki, Shaffi said: “We are working together with our police, chiefs and their assistants and in the last two weeks we have conducted successful raids, destroying thousands of illicit brew.
“I have instructed chiefs to spend most of their time in the field fighting this menace. They are not suppossed to spend all the time in their offices, and therefore the question of chiefs sitting in their offices Monday to Friday, I won’t allow,” he said.
Shaffi also urged the chiefs to work hand in hand with journalists to expose the brewers.
Three people were arrested during the Tuesday raid.
This comes a few days after a video went viral, where Mawingu sub-location assistant chief Joseph Rotich was captured drunk while on uniform.
Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho has so far sent home 12 chiefs and 11 assistant chiefs in the ongoing fight against the killer brews.