A 29-year-old man suspected to be a thief was on the night of June 12 lynched in Mitaboni market in Kathiani sub-county. 

Do you have a lead on a newsworthy story? Share news tips with us here at Hivisasa!

The man did not have any form of identification and was not from that area situation which raised more suspicion from residents. 

According to an eyewitness, the man tried to defend himself before he was set ablaze saying that he lost his way as he was going to visit his sister.

She also said the man claimed that everything belonging to him had been stolen including his phone. 

"I was totally not happy with the decision of residents.Truly, the man sounded innocent but all efforts to rescue him went sour," said Racheal Muoki. 

Before Mitaboni administration police officers could arrive the man had already been confirmed dead. 

His body was taken to Kathiani level four hospital mortuary by Kathiani police officers as they launch investigations into the matter.